Wisdom teeth can pose various issues, including impaction, incorrect angles, or limited space in the mouth. Regardless of the cause, they can lead to pain, headaches, jaw discomfort, sinus problems, and other quality-of-life concerns. When faced with issues related to wisdom teeth, the recommended course of action is to consult a dental surgeon in Melbourne. Following wisdom tooth removal, the focus shifts to ensuring a smooth recovery. Similar to any medical procedure, there are steps you can take to enhance the recovery process and minimize complications. Here are some dos and don’ts to facilitate your recovery.
Do to Aid in Your Wisdom Teeth Removal Recovery
- Take Prescribed Medication: Follow your dentist’s prescription for pain medication, as it helps control pain, especially anti-inflammatory medications.
- Change Gauze Regularly: Change gauze hourly during the initial recovery period to promote healing and reduce discomfort.
- Use Ice Packs: Apply ice packs during the first few days to alleviate pain and swelling.
- Introduce Heat After Three Days: After approximately three days, use heat to reduce jaw soreness, but avoid it during the initial days to prevent discomfort from increased blood flow.
- Monitor Diet: Consume soft foods and liquids to minimize discomfort. Stay hydrated to prevent dryness and bacterial growth.
- Elevate Head When Lying Down: Keep your head elevated when lying down for three days to reduce discomfort and aid in recovery.
- Gentle Rinsing with Salt Water: Rinse gently with salt water to keep the extraction sites clean.
- Resume Tooth Brushing Carefully: Begin brushing your teeth after a day, avoiding the extraction area.
- Prioritize Sleep: Despite discomfort, aim for sufficient sleep, as it contributes to a quicker recovery.
Things to Avoid during Wisdom Teeth Removal Recovery
- Avoid Floss, Mouthwash, and Brushing Initially: Refrain from using floss, mouthwash, and brushing for the first 24 hours after surgery.
- Do Not Touch Extraction Area: Avoid touching the extraction site directly.
- Avoid Vigorous Rinsing: Steer clear of vigorous rinsing, as it may dislodge the blood clot covering the extraction site, causing pain.
- Refrain from Using a Straw: For at least three days, avoid drinking with a straw to prevent blood clot disruption.
- Minimize Smoking and Alcohol: If you smoke, abstain for at least five to seven days after surgery. Also, avoid alcohol as it can impact the extraction site.
- Steer Clear of Strenuous Activities: Avoid strenuous activities like exercise or heavy housework for three to four days to facilitate recovery.
- Limit Driving and Machine Use: Refrain from using heavy machinery or driving for at least two days post-surgery.
- Watch Diet Intake: Avoid excessive sugar, sticky, or hard foods for a smoother recovery.
- Monitor Pain Medication Intake: Be mindful of pain medication dosage to prevent accidental overdose.
When You Need Wisdom Tooth Care in Melbourne, FL
For top-notch dental surgery in Melbourne, Sedaros Oral Facial Surgery & Dental Implants is your trusted partner. With extensive experience and a commitment to your dental well-being, we provide comprehensive care, including wisdom tooth removal. If your wisdom teeth are impacting your quality of life, contact our office to schedule an appointment. Our team will assess your condition and guide you on the most suitable course of action for your dental health.