If you need to have your wisdom teeth removed in Melbourne, Florida then Dr. Steve Sedaros will be more than happy to meet with you to discuss the surgery with you. “Wisdom teeth are the third and final set of molars that most people get in their late teens or early twenties. Sometimes these teeth can be a valuable asset to the mouth when healthy and properly aligned, but more often, they are misaligned and require removal,” WebMD explains.
Roni Caryn Rabin reported in The New York Times that Dr. Louis K. Rafetto of Wilmington, Del., who headed the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons’ task force on wisdom teeth said, “It’s hard to get a percentage, but probably 75 to 80 percent of people do not meet the criteria of being able to successfully maintain their wisdom teeth.”
When wisdom teeth are misaligned, they may position themselves horizontally, be angled toward or away from the second molars, or be angled inward or outward. Poor alignment of wisdom teeth can crowd or damage adjacent teeth, the jawbone, or nerves. The removal of impacted teeth is a serious surgical procedure and post-operative care is very important. Follow these instructions immediately after surgery to minimize post-operative pain:
- The gauze pad placed over the surgical area should be kept in place for a half hour. After this time, the gauze pad should be removed and discarded.
- Vigorous mouth rinsing or touching the wound area following surgery should be avoided. This may initiate bleeding by causing the blood clot that has formed to become dislodged.
- Take the prescribed pain medications as soon as you begin to feel discomfort. This will usually coincide with the local anesthetic becoming diminished.
- Restrict your activities the day of surgery and resume normal activity when you feel comfortable.
- Place ice packs to the sides of your face where surgery was performed.
If you are looking to get your wisdom teeth removed then give Sedaros Oral Facial Surgery & Dental Implants a call today at (321) 610-7868 to schedule an appointment.