If you believe you have TMJ in Melbourne, Florida then call our office at (321) 610-7868 today. TMJ can affect any of any age and if you or your child hears a clicking noise when you open your mouth then you should come by and see Dr. Steve Sedaros. If left untreated, the sides of your face might start to ache, along with terrible headaches, and possibly problems with chewing or opening your mouth.
TMJ disorders are problems related to the temporomandibular joint (TMJ), the joint that connects the lower jaw to the skull. These problems can cause pain, difficulty chewing, and other issues.
You can feel your TM joints by placing your fingers directly in front of your ears and opening your mouth. What you’re feeling are the rounded ends of your lower jaw as they glide along the joint socket of your temporal bone (that’s the part of your skull that contains your inner ear and temple). TMJ disorders can affect people of any age. In fact, most of the people who have TMJ disorders are young women.
- Pain in the facial muscles, jaw joints, or around the ear. Some people also feel pain in the neck and shoulders, especially when they talk, chew, or yawn. Occasionally people with TMJ disorders may have muscle spasms.
- Popping, clicking, or grating sounds when opening or closing your mouth. (Some people hear these noises but don’t have other symptoms. When that’s the case, they may not have a TMJ disorder.)
- Difficulty chewing or biting.
- Headaches, dizziness, ear pain, hearing loss, and ringing in the ears (tinnitus).
- Trouble opening your mouth all the way or jaw locking. It is also possible for the jaw to lock wide open or lock shut.
These are some of the signs of TMJ and if you are experiencing any number of these, our staff at Sedaros Oral Facial Surgery & Dental Implants is available to address any of your questions or concerns so call our office today at (321) 610-7868 to schedule an appointment.