At Sedaros Oral Surgery we like to keep our patients informed about what to expect in the hours and days following a surgical procedure. If one of your teeth requires an extraction, there are several precautions you should take in order to promote proper healing and comfort.
- Bite down on a gauze pad for 30-45 minutes after your appointment to stop bleeding and help the blood clot form. If the bleeding continues you may need to repeat this process several times.
- Use pain medication as directed.
- Use an ice pack to reduce swelling.
- Resume brushing and flossing after 24 hours.
- Avoid intense exercise in order to decrease the chance of bleeding due to increased blood pressure.
- Drink extra fluid and eat soft food following the extraction.
- Do not rinse your mouth zealously.
- Do not suck on straws.
- For 72 hours after the procedure do not smoke, drink alcohol, or brush teeth near the extraction site.
As your oral surgeon in Melbourne, Florida we look forward to providing our patients with the highest quality of care. If you have any questions following your extraction, please contact our office.